After following this topic, and any additional reading, you should know
- The organisation and functions of the urinary system.
- The organisation of the kidney, and the organisation and functions of the nephron and conducting tubules.
- How to recognise and identify the five major segments of the nephron: renal corpuscles, proximal and distal convoluted tubules, loops of Henle and collecting tubules, and appreciate how the histological structure of these components is related to their functions.
- The components of the glomerulus that filter urine, and the function of each component.
- The structure of the urinary epithelium and describe the ways in which it is adapted for its function.
- Recognise and describe sections of ureter and bladder.
- How to recognise what's gone wrong, in a damaged kidney.